Friday, June 3, 2011

Surf's Up

For those of you wondering, I am working at
Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe!!!

Yesterday was an exhausting day! We had a Soul 2 Soul with our bible study groups. My bible study includes Ashton, Allie, Ashlie, Alicia and I. Soul 2 Soul consisted of each one of us pretty much sharing every aspect of our lives with each other and just being completely open and vulnerable. It was such a unique opportunity. We each shared our past struggles and victories and learned how we were similiar in several ways. Sharing our life stories helped us truly understand that we're not all that different and it truly showed how strong each girl really is. We ended up talking from 2 in the evening 'til 11 at night! We were each so emotionally drained but it was a great feeling having our walls come down. I love all these girls!

Lots of excitement happened today! The staff took all the students out to an indoor wave simulator! (There's a live webcam that lets you watch people trying it. Click HERE to see other's trying it) There's two different sides where you can either boogie board or use a surf board. I, of course, decided that you either go big or go home and went to the surfing side. Our instructor made it look extremely simple as he would switch directions and do little kick flips, so we were all pretty confident as we walked up the stairs. Once we got on the stand, however, he told us that during our first try we would probably fall off the second we got on. Let me tell ya, he wasn't lying. We saw as the first few brave souls put all their weight on their boards and just rocketed to the wall. After about thirty minutes, I was finally able to actually stand up on my board for a bit!

God definitely showed me some awesome "surfing" analogies as we tried and tried again to stay up on our boards. So to get out on your board, you need to put all your weight on your outside foot and lean out to be caught by the wave, which is similar to the faith we need to have in our relationship with God. I have to trust Him with everything I've got and have complete faith as I head out to "sea". If I don't put enough of my weight onto my outside leg, I'll just immediately lose balance and wipe out! After you're on the wave you have to keep your hand outstreched to the side of you and keep your head pointed in that direction as well. Looking all around makes you lose your balance and hit the wall. God showed me that this is how my focus needs to be. I need to always have my hand outstretched towards Him, seeking and asking for His help. I don't need to pay attention to the distractions around me, because these things cause me to look away from Him and lose my balance. I am so thankful that God revealed these things to me, because trust is something I struggle with a lot in mine and God's relationship! I love that he shows up at the most unexpected times!

Tomorrow will be the first day we will get to share Jesus with others! I'm excited to see how God will move in people tomorrow, both my team and those we will reach out to. Please be praying that our team would feel comfortable and equipped to share the gosple with others, and that we would not be afraid to initiate conversations! Also that the people God wants us to reach out to would be willing to listen and to let Jesus really take a hold of their hearts!


-Rosa :)



Oh, P.S. I'll try to post some pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment