Friday, June 17, 2011

Riding Some Gnarly Waves!

It's been like a week since I've last updated, so bear with me. I have a feeling this is going to be a long one. I have added pictures and video to make a bit more interesting though! :)

God has been producing a lot of gnarly "waves" lately!! On Tuesday, we had an evangelism day. My partner, Anna, and I went to a local outlet mall to see what "waves" we could catch. We approached a couple different people and had both success and failure. Let me tell ya, rejection stinks! Just walking up to people is scary enough, but knowing that they might shut you down makes it even harder to muster up some courage! Another thing that makes things harder for me is my Spanish speaking. I'm pretty fluent in it, but I'm obviously not as comfortable with it as I am with my English. I asked God if he would not put anyone in my path who I would have to speak to in Spanish. But God's a funny fella, so of course I had to talk to people in Spanish! :) I'm so glad God did this though, because I got to meet Yanira. Yanira is from Houston, but was in Florida on vacation. Getting to speak with her was so encouraging! She told me about how she had accepted Christ 11 years ago and all about her childhood. As I was going through a booklet with her, she was reciting all the bible verses from memory! She asked if she could keep it so that she could share it with her sister!! Of course I let her take it!!

The other day we went out to Coco Beach where we finally rode some real waves!! We were worried we wouldn't be able to because of recent jellyfish problems plus it was raining! But God was definitely looking out for us! No jellyfish in sight and the rain stopped! I wasn't able to stand up fully, but I was able to get up on my knees at least! Just a small note: Saltwater does not taste very good, nor does it feel very good in your eyes! Since there's like 40 of us on project, we all took turns using the boards. While we weren't surfing, we had some fun beach activities! I learned how to play bocce ball! And we also created an epic village of sand castles! We made one sand castle for each of the condos we have here on Summer Project!


Have I mentioned how much fun I'm having here on project!? Because it's totally supa fun!! Another fun thing that I've gotten to experience is Star Wars Weekend at Disney World! Before I came to project, I had never seen an episode or movie of Star Wars. But since all my roommates love it, I decided I should give it a chance. We hosted a Star Wars Movie Party at our condo last Friday. I would like to say that I watched it and fell in love, but that was not the case.. I fell asleep during it, so sadly I don't even know what happened. But that didn't stop me from going to Star Wars Weekend the next day! Like I said, my friends are fanatics. They fixed their hair like Princes Leia! They're so cute! :) I was surprised that a lot of other people at the park weren't dressed up though. I was expecting full out Star Wars nerds to be there! My favorite part of the evening was when the characters from Star Wars had a Dance Off! I actually recorded some of it. The video below shows a small section of the program!



Yesterday marked the first day of my on-the-job training! I got to wear my cute little Pecos Bill Costume and my not so cute no-slip shoes! They look like orthopedic shoes, and they're not as comfortable as you'd think.. Besides my shoes, the day was pretty good! We learned where all the food was located, how to tell which drinks are which, where to deliver each tray of food, and how to close up the counter in Disney Standards. They gave us a lot of information, I'm really hoping I can remember it all! We also met some really cool people who are going to be working with us! They're from all over the place, from New York to Mexico even in Columbia! I'm excited to get to know them better and hear all their exciting stories! They're all pretty hardcore too! They told us about how the go paintballing at like 1 in the morning 'til like 4 or 5!

I've got my second day of on-site training today, so I better go get ready! Please keep praying for me and the others here on this project!! Thank you for all the previous prayers as well!!

-Rosa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment